Game-Based Learning In Corporate Training
Game-based learning has latched itself within the corporate training of employees. Corporate training is utilizing all sort of online course module in grooming the employee’s knowledge and skills. Challenges in a corporate pool are to construct an agile manpower that is capable of your company’s progress and profitability goals.
If we speak about the obstacles, then converting the mindset from classroom training to online training courses is vital, as the traditional method is inefficient in fulfilling the corporate needs. Traditional methods of teaching consume bigger space of continuous time, accelerates at a constant pace, very less ongoing feedback sessions, short-revision time etc. However, recorded modules delivered reduces this shortcoming by giving space for any time & anywhere learning, revision of courses, feedback sessions, chat & voice supports etc. which helps the trainee to enhance their knowledge much more efficiently.
In a survey, it has been proven that the number of the learner’s like to engage themselves in an “interaction based learning programmes”. Thus, Gamification pattern of learning must be deployed in our online learning modules so that the learning process will be more fun and interactive. Game-based learning has the ability to provide a qualitative and quantitative productivity in the corporate training courses.
Gamification- Why is it so important in corporate training modules?
The vision of game-based learning is to engage participants in tasks and activities as they could earn points, rewards, token of appreciations etc. so that the learning engagement rate is higher throughout the session. Task-specific training is deployed in the company which strengthens the employee knowledge and skills and encourages for developing a better version of the employee.
- Tata Interactive Systems is now recognized among the top 20 content development companies, where game-based training programs are in action. “GamBLs® for serious games, story-based learning, learning nuggets and many others to deliver a highly effective learning experience,” has been effectively working.
- Hewlett-Package is backing up their sales force process with different course modules, product knowledge information etc. through game-based learning methodology.
How to Start a Game-based Training Program?
Corporate sectors are now keen to implement the game-based learning trends but black-out the facts that lack in knowledge on how to carry out the opening move is crucial. Main reasons behind failed efforts at game-based learning are poor instructional design and lack aligning the course goal into a business vision.
What is the precautionary measure an instructional designer should take in structuring a game-based training content for the Corporate organization? Follow these steps;
- Identifying Your Objective: Without focusing on the Goals of the training module, the course must not be designed, the same is applied for game-based learning. Before beginning the design process, it is necessary to be crystal clear on the objective of the game. Will it be beneficial for the employees? Will it improve their skills and knowledge further or not? These challenges will determine the content structural prospects and design of the game. A bot or virtual reality-based simulated game would prove suitable in improvising the safety training, in which learners are taught to adopt compliance standards and SOPs in using an equipment. In addition, it is crucial to bear in mind the business objective. For example, the game is designed to achieve your sales productivity, improve customer experiences, or to improve the quality of your product and services?
- Relevance Of The Game: Suppose for a language training, audio and pronunciation games will be suitable but not the puzzles or treasure hunt. Trainee need activities in the game which is relevant to their job. So, it is crucial for an instructional designer in structuring a game-based training content for the employees where the engagement rate is more.
- Learning Goal: UI, Graphics, Design, Audio, and Video are visually attractive to many users which will create a deviation from the training goal. Visual appealing content is a benefactor in the training session but it must not delineate the employees from taking the training course.
- Unique Experience: Learner should experience a uniqueness in the game which will make them more interactive in learning the protocol by exploring more about the games. If you know the game scoring methods and protocol early, it will cause a loss in the learner interest and so the game must be designed as one-of-a-kind. If a template of an existing game is taken, then it is advised that the rules of the game could be the same or different but Scoring methods need to be different so that a new experience will be observed.
- Customized Games: Games must be tailored as per the training specifications for the organization and learning objectives. The perspective of the learner must be taken into attention as it is equally important. It can be projected based on the company’s programme to achieve the desired learning results.
Corporate training based on games are in their nascent stage, but are rapidly embarking in the corporate sector and over the next decade will become will become a must-have feature of corporate learning. 3E Software Solutions are capable of designing and customizing corporate training protocol based on different game elements. For general inquiry, do send us a message at [email protected]