SINGLE LOGIN INTO MOODLE – SINGLE SIGN ON
Single Sign-ON (SSO)
Single login for Moodle authentication. The feature has made life easier for the Moodle administrators and enhanced the capabilities of Moodle to the next level. The process of workflow is very simple and nimble. First, the user needs to provide a set of credentials/user information like username and password to the Identity Provider (IDP) once and then request the user information from the service provider at each time of the login.
Looking into the scrums of the approach, the service provider would validate the credentials provided by the Identity Provider (IDP) and generate an authorization token for the user. The data exchange between the IDP and Service Provider happens over SAML (Secure Assertion Markup Language).
Is this feature can be enabled in the Moodle Mobile App?
Yes, mobile enablement of SSO in Moodle Mobile App is possible, with minor limitations:
- SSO login enablement in Moodle mobile app is available for Shibboleth and CAS, which are the Open-Source Identity Providers (IDP).
- SSO is not available for Windows Phone 8 apps.
- Moodle Mobile App version should be upgraded to 1.4.4
What are the benefits of SSO login in Moodle?
Single Sign ON enablement in Moodle will be time-saving approach as it has many beneficial factors like:
- SSO extension provides end-users with an option to enter single username and password on the WordPress login portal and gain access on both Moodle and WordPress simultaneously. An effective rise in the productivity is observed by decreasing the use of multiple passwords.
- Single Sign On is a secure option for credential loss.
- System admin burden is less because less number of help-desk is required for doing the password resets.
- SSO manage accounts in one go and provides a clear visibility of identity of users.
To know more about the SSO login enablement in Moodle Mobile App, check it HERE