What is Single Sign On?
Single sign on can be defined as – “When a user authentication service and session that allows end-user to fill one set of login credentials ( like username and password ) to authenticate through multiple applications.”
How does Single Sign On work in an application?
Single Sign On work with two heads i.e. Identity Provider & Service Provider. First, the user needs to provide a set of credentials/user information like username and password to the Identity Provider (IDP). After that another application(s) request the user information from the service provider at each time of the login and Identity provider will pass the information.
Single Sign-ON (SSO) in Moodle
Single login system for Moodle authentication feature has made life easier for the Moodle administrators and enhanced the capabilities of Moodle to the next level. First, the user needs to provide a set of credentials/user information like username and password to the Identity Provider (IDP) once and then request the user information from the service provider at each time of the login.
The service provider would validate the credentials provided by the Identity Provider (IDP) and generate an authorization token for the user. The data exchange between the IDP and Service Provider happens over Moodle SAML2 (Secure Assertion Markup Language) SSO Auth service.
Is this feature can be enabled in the Moodle Mobile App?
Yes, mobile enablement of SSO in Moodle Mobile App is possible, with some minor limitations like:
- SSO login enablement in Moodle mobile app is available only for Shibboleth and CAS, which are the Open-Source Identity Providers (IDP).
- SSO is not available for Windows Phone applications.
- Moodle Mobile App version should be upgraded to 1.4.4
What are the benefits of Single Sign On login in Moodle?
Single Sign ON enablement in Moodle will be time-saving approach as it has many beneficial factors like:
- SSO extension provides end-users with an option to enter single username and password on the WordPress login portal and gain access on both Moodle and WordPress simultaneously. An effective rise in the productivity is observed by decreasing the use of multiple passwords.
- Single Sign On is a secure option for credential loss.
- System admin burden is less because less number of help-desk is required for doing the password resets.
- Single Sign On manage accounts in one go and provides a clear visibility of identity of users.
To know more about the SSO login enablement in Moodle Mobile App, check it HERE
3E Software Solutions provides Single Sign On as service for Moodle Application. Want to enable the Single Sign On for Moodle application then reach us out at [email protected] or Call us at +91-7290-970-980